Articles & Tools:
Download "Assessing Your School Wellness Policy"
During the 2009 Texas Association for School Administrators conference
the Dannon Institute conducted a 1 hour presentation,
"Your School Wellness Policy - 5 Solutions to 5 Common Problems."
The presenters were Greg Welk, Associate Professor at Iowa State University
and the Scientific Director for FitnessGram, and Rich Abramson, a School
Superintendent from Maine. In the following series of videos Greg and
Rich discuss practical solutions to addressing your school wellness policy.
- • Part 1 - Obtaining buy in from students and parents
- • Part 2 - Tips for school administrators including food options, financial realities, and how to add physical activity to the day and the importance of doing so
- • Part 3 - The role of the school administrator in the wellness policy and obstacles to assessing your policy and programs
- • Part 4 - Questions for experts from Texas Superintendents
- • School Wellness Policy Checklist
- A simple checklist to rate physical activity and nutrition components of a district school wellness policy
- • Checklist for Food and Beverage Items
- An assessment form that looks at offerings in a high school cafeteria a la carte line
- • Principal Survey
- A checklist examining food and physical activity wellness policies at the school level
- • Webinar, October 20, 2009, "Maintaining School Wellness During Tight Budget Times"
- • Webinar, October 21, 2008, "School Wellness Policies: Do you have one – and is it